Download the Application
The Vermont Farm Viability Program is offering specialized technical assistance to Vermont forestry and forest products businesses, using funding from the Working Lands Enterprise Fund at the Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets. Eligible businesses include wood lot owners, logging operations, mill and kiln enterprises, and woodworking/manufacturing businesses that source locally produced wood. Business of any scale are eligible to apply, and will be individually matched with the most appropriate business advisor, consultant or team of consultants for the project.
This program can help you with:
• Improving efficiency
• Expanding production & changing scale
• Marketing to increase sales or change markets
• New enterprise development
• Business and financial management to improve profitability
• Increasing management skills and capacity
Applications will be selected based on clarity of the proposal, how well the proposal meets the program’s objectives, and the readiness of the project. Once enrolled, businesses work with a business advisor through one of our cooperating organizations or directly with an individual consultant or team of consultants. Select businesses that need advanced venture coaching and meet additional criteria will be matched with the Vermont Agricultural Development Program, a program of the Vermont Sustainable Jobs Fund. Our staff works with program participants to identify a good match for your business.
• Your business must be based in Vermont.
• You must have at least 2 years of experience managing this or another related business.
• Your business must be primarily involved in the harvesting, production, processing, storage, marketing, and/or distribution of local forest products.
*In some cases waivers are available for businesses that don’t meet these eligibility requirements.
There is a $75 fee for enrollment. Aside from this enrollment fee, business planning and technical assistance will be provided free of charge if your business is chosen to participate. Please submit a check with your application. We will return your funds if we are not able to enroll you in the program. Applicants that are matched with the Vermont Agricultural Development Program will have additional program cost share.
1) Complete the application form,
2) Print out answers to the application questions,
3) Enclose a $75 check or money order payable to VHCB, and
4) Mail to: VT Farm Viability Program, VHCB, 58 E. State Street, Montpelier, VT 05602
Please contact Liz Gleason, Program Coordinator, for further information at 828-3370 or by email to: email@example.com.