Life After Americorps Information & resources
Check out the Life After AmeriCorps Guide for VHCB AmeriCorps Members, download it here!
Ed Segel Education Award
After successfully completing your AmeriCorps term of service, you are eligible to receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award. You can use your Segal AmeriCorps Education Award to repay qualified student loans and to pay certain education costs at qualified institutions of higher education and training programs.
- You may use your education award to both repay qualified student loans and to pay for current education expenses.
- You can access the entire award or part of it until the total amount has been used or the award expires.
- You can use your award within seven years of completing your term of service.
To access, manage, or check the balance of your award, log into the AmeriCorps Portal
To learn more on ways to use your award or to learn about the tax implications related to the use of your award, visit AmeriCorps.gov
Individuals who have successfully completed a term of service in AmeriCorps or Silver Scholars are eligible to have the Trust pay as much as 100% of the interest that accrued on their qualified student loan during their service. The portion that the Trust will pay is determined by the type of service (full or part-time) and the length of your service period. The Trust will only pay interest on qualified student loans, as described on the Using your Segal AmeriCorps Education Award web page.
- After you have completed your service and received notification of your award, you can go into your account in My AmeriCorps.
- In your home page, click on the “Create Interest Accrual” link at the top of the page to bring up the page to request the payment.
- Follow the instructions. You will select the appropriate term of service and type of loan and identify the holder of your student loan.
- When you click on “submit,” a notice will be sent electronically to your loan company. A record of your request will appear in your account home page.
Schools of National Service
Schools of National Service recognize that AmeriCorps alumni are a valuable asset to the academic community. These schools seek to reward their service and incentivize their education by providing benefits to students who choose to serve. In return. Institutions receive students who are trained leaders, community-minded and driven to make a difference in the world.
Possible Benefits could include:
- Tuition matching for the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award (could be at the undergraduate or graduate level and could be specific to a school or program)
- Scholarship or fellowship to AmeriCorps alumni
- Priority points for admission consideration for AmeriCorps alumni
- In-state tuition for AmeriCorps alumni
- Expenses like books and supplies, room and board, or other personal costs like transportation for AmeriCorps alumni
- One-year enrollment deferrals for individuals to serve in AmeriCorps
- Academic credit for AmeriCorps experience
- Other incentives that vary by institution
Employers of National Service
Employers of National Service (EONS) recognize AmeriCorps alumni and Returned Peace Corps Volunteers have skills and experience to get the job done. In recognition of the unique and transferable skills that participants develop during national service, Employers of National Service builds a talent pipeline to connect AmeriCorps and Peace Corps alumni with employers from every sector to create recruitment, hiring, and advancement opportunities. Through this initiative, employers have access to a pool of dedicated, highly qualified, and mission‐oriented talent, and national service alumni have opportunities to translate their skills in the workplace.
Alumni looking for opportunities and to search this network click here
If you are an employer looking to learn more on how to join this network, please click here
rESUME & JOB PREPARATION
As you start preparing to apply to jobs or for a higher education degree, prepare you resume including your VHCB service. If you are looking for examples on how to represent your service in you resume, review our Resume Examples Document
- Ensure your AmeriCorps experience is placed under your "Work Experience" section, NOT your volunteer or community involvement section
- Be sure to include action words
- Include AmeriCorps as well as your host site in the description
For a general resource guide from AmeriCorps HQ, click here