September 8 - 10, and October 7 2021
Welcome New Members!
Hello VHCB AmeriCorps members of 2021-2022! Welcome to the program, we are so excited to start a year of service with you. Due to safe practices regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, we are unfortunately unable to host a full in-person Orientation this year. All pertinent member information will be housed here for you to access, including information about orientation, resources, and the service day project.
Materials that will be useful during orientation can be found here. This includes links to any activities we do, forms and paperwork, and the Member Handbook which we will be referring to throughout the training. The Member Handbook includes detailed information about what AmeriCorps is, the Vermont Housing and Conservation Board, program practices and policies, forms and paperwork, progress reporting, member resources, health care, and the member agreement. This will be your go-to-guide during service to answer any questions.
September 8th and 9th and October 7th Zoom Link:
Use this link for all Sessions on September 8th-9th, and October 7th.
Returning Member Training Special Session: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82995810258
- Orientation Agenda
- Member Handbook
- Icebreaker Questions
- Video: History of AmeriCorps - lunchtime viewing on September 8th.
- Prohibited Activities video
- Member Quest - An activity to help get to know your fellow members
- Regional Groups Activity - An activity to get to know other members serving in your area.
- Who Am I? - Activity for practicing introductions and speaking about your service.
- Service Focus Area Activity
- Goals & Self-Assessment Sheet
- Food Assistance/3 Squares Webinar -optional session on gaining access to food assistance while serving.
Day of Service Project
For the 3rd day of Orientation, we will join The Nature Conservancy for a service project in honor of the 9/11 Day of Service. We will be moving lumber and trail materials at Williams Woods Natural Area on Friday, September 10th. We will meet on site at 9:00am.
We will spend the morning moving some heavy lumber from one location at the trailhead to another staging location about 0.5 miles along the trail. There will be a lot of wood to carry, but we’ll make sure to pair off, pace the morning accordingly, and wrap up by noon. We encourage you to take breaks, drink lots of water, and listen to your body. While it may make us sweat and tire us out, this effort will be a huge help toward the larger project of repairing and improving the trail conditions at Williams Woods so that all visitors can enjoy the natural area safely. You can find more info on the natural area attached in this email.
Directions to where we will meet in the morning:
Locate in Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/Tksw5EXN7CCWmgZ1A
Parking is limited at the Williams Woods trailhead, please park tightly to make space for others.
Requirements ahead of day: Please sign and return both forms here:
Things to know for the day:
- If you have work gloves, please bring them. We will have gloves, but supplemental pairs will be helpful.
- We will provide: hand sanitizer, sanitizing wipes, & some snacks for the day.
- Please bring: a mask (for any time we cannot be distanced), long pants, durable footwear, and plenty of water. Prepare as though you’re going on an off-trail hike for the day. Regardless of the weather, a long-sleeve shirt can also be helpful to prevent scrapes and protect against mosquitos.
- Please know poison ivy and ticks =both may be present at this site; we will review at the beginning of the day.
Following the Service Project: We will meet at Mt Philo State Park located here: https://goo.gl/maps/Tpm2LN9RDLbL1WJN9. The park is about a 10 minute drive from the service project location. We will gather at the Mt. Philo Summit Lodge. You will pass through the park entrance gate when you arrive - Please let the attendant know that you are with VHCB AmeriCorps as we will be covering the entrance fee. We will have boxed lunches available upon arrival at the shelter.
- Learn about AmeriCorps and National Service
- Understand what the VHCB AmeriCorps Program is All About
- Come to know the rules and regulations that will guide you through your service year
- Get to know each other
AmeriTastic Team Challenge!
There are ten Question Sessions with 5 questions each. Please do not open a Question Session sheet before instructed to do so (that would be cheating!). You will have 2.5 minutes to answer the questions as a team in each session. Your team will receive a point per each correct answer. Good Luck!