Welcome to the VHCB AmeriCorps Program! To get you started, we need to provide you with an AmeriCorps Supervisor Orientation. Normally we do this in person, but these unusual times call for unusual circumstances!
Outlined below is a process for you to self-orient to the VHCB AmeriCorps Program. This process allows you to complete on your own time at your own pace. It should take you about 3 hours to complete everything. It’s a lot of information to absorb, please take your time and give the material careful review.
The Orientation process is laid out below in 10 steps, in order that the tasks should be completed. You're welcome to use this printable list to mark your progress. The Process below refers to the Supervisor Handbook which can be found on our website at https://www.vhcb.org/our-programs/vhcb-americorps/partnering-organizations/supervisor-handbook.
Following the Supervisor Orientation Process outlined below, we'll meet virtually to review and answer any questions you. See your email for more information on the meeting.
New Supervisor Orientation Process:
- What is AmeriCorps?
- Please start with this quick video on serving in AmeriCorps (1 min): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhCyOtwX7Ws
- Watch this What is AmeriCorps video (2.25 mins): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgdRkzLKlPM
- Review the What is AmeriCorps section in the VHCB AmeriCorps Handbook, which includes pages 8-28.
- Be sure to carefully review What Makes an AmeriCorps Member Different Than an Employee on pages 21-22.
- Pay special attention to page 23 which covers AmeriCorps Prohibited Activities. There are activities that Members are not allowed to perform as part of AmeriCorps service, and Supervisors must be well aware of them.
- Familiarize yourself with AmeriCorps language on pages 27 and 28. It is important to use the right language and not refer to Members as volunteers nor employees.
- VHCB AmeriCorps
- If you are not familiar with VHCB as an organization, please review pages 30-31 in the VHCB AmeriCorps section of the handbook.
- Watch this video about the Vermont Housing and Conservation Board (10 mins): https://vimeo.com/259266371
- Watch this VHCB AmeriCorps Introduction video (3.5 mins): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMYUHGX-s8
- Review pages 32-36 and page 48 in the VHCB AmeriCorps Program section in the handbook for an overview of the VHCB AmeriCorps Program
- Watch the following videos which highlights what our members do:
- Carefully review pages 38-47 of the handbook to learn more about Member service requirements and expectations while serving in the VHCB AmeriCorps Program.
- Review pages 49-51 of the handbook to learn more about Training and Initiatives VHCB AmeriCorps Members will take part in.
- AmeriCorps Supervision
- AmeriCorps Host Site and Supervisor Responsibilities
- Please read through page 61 and 62 of the handbook to understand the Host Site Cash Match contribution
- Carefully review pages 64-67 of the handbook to learn about Member timetracking.
- Have a look at AmeriCorps Member Progress Reporting on pages 68 – 70 in the handbook, and look over the Sample Progress Report following page 70 to familiarize yourself with the information that your Member will need to report on.
- Familiarize yourself with the AmeriCorps Performance evaluation on pages 71 – 75. You will complete this with your member(s) twice in the service term.
- Review Member Training and Mileage Reimbursement responsibilities on the second page 71 (please forgive the page number formatting issue).
- Program Practices, policies, and Agreements
- Carefully review Program Policies and Practices pages (second) 73-75 in the handbook.
- Please read through the Host Site Agreement (you may skip this if you already reviewed when it went out for signature). Pages 76 – 87
- Skim through the VHCB AmeriCorps Member Agreement on pages 88-111
- Explore the VHCB AmeriCorps website
- Click through the various tabs to learn more about the Program and familiarize yourself with online resources: https://vhcb.org/our-programs/vhcb-americorps
- Explore the pages designed for Host Sites: Partnering Organizations | Vermont Housing & Conservation Board (vhcb.org)
- Browse through member stories and introductions.
- Watch the VHCB AmeriCorps 20th Anniversary Video (4.5 mins): https://vimeo.com/274231966
Good luck, and don’t hesitate to reach out to mFrancis or Ashley if you need any assistance.
- What is AmeriCorps?