VHCB FARM & FOREST VIABILITY PROGRAM WATER QUALITY GRANT APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN AND WILL BE DUE FRIDAY, JANUARY 19, 2024
The Farm & Forest Viability Program provides grants of up to $50,000 to help Vermont farmers invest in water quality-related on-farm infrastructure. This program is funded by the State of Vermont.
Any Vermont farm with a gross farm income of $15,000 or more that is required to comply with Vermont’s Required Agricultural Practices (RAPs).
We will consider applications from non-farm entities playing an integral role in water quality management on farms, such as custom operators or non-profits. Please contact staff to ensure your entity is eligible prior to applying.
Projects to make on-farm capital improvements that also have direct, positive impacts on water quality are eligible for funding. The following types of projects have been funded in the past:
- Construction, renovation, or upgrades to farm infrastructure
- Purchase of equipment that will be used frequently; is essential to the business; cannot be rented; and leads to innovative farm practices (*Note: Applications for equipment must include a price quote).
A minimum of one-to-one match funding is required, but there is no required farmer match. Match can be in the form of state or federal awards or in the form of farm cash, loans, or in-kind labor from the applicant. Awards will be paid on a reimbursement basis upon the receipt of project invoices. For projects that require state or federal funds to move forward (USDA-NRCS, VAAFM BMP or CEAP), we will strongly prioritize projects that have already applied to these agencies and/or have contracts in place.
1) APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS & APPLICATION QUESTIONS: Please read before beginning your application.
2) LINK TO APPLICATION: Responses will be saved once you click the "next" button on each page. In order pick up where you left off, you must use the same device and web browser that you started the application on. Once applications are submitted, they cannot be edited.
3) WATER QUALITY GRANT BUDGET TEMPLATE: This template will also be available for download within the application and will be required for completing the application. Applicants that have completed a project budget through a state or federal agency can submit an existing budget rather than completing the VHCB template.
Applications are due January 19, 2024. Decisions are expected to be announced by April 2023. Projects will have a compliance date of November 1, 2025 with an option for extensions depending on project circumstances.
If you have questions about this grant or would like to understand alternative ways to submit your application, please contact Betsy McGavisk at @email or 802-828-5562.
We will be hosting two informational zoom sessions if you have eligibility or application questions. Please register below:
FARMS WITH open grants
If you currently have an open VHCB Water Quality Grant and would like to request disbursement of funds, have an update on your project, or have other questions please reach out to Betsy McGavisk at @email or 802-828-5562.
Funds may be disbursed once the project is complete and once invoices demonstrating that the award amount and the required match has been spent. Partial disbursements are available in extenuating circumstances. Please be in touch if you would like more information.
Water Quality Grants
Recent Success Stories
Dorset Peak Jerseys Awarded Water Quality Grant
In November 2017, Caleb & Jessie Smith, owners of Dorset Peak Jerseys in Danby, VT, were awarded a $40,000 Water Quality Grant to build a covered barnyard & freestall barn.